Open Hours

Find us on 

April to October
Saturday and Sunday,
1-5 PM (weather permitting)
Free Admission, Donations Appreciated

*Height restriction of 42 inches to climb the tower

For information about visiting at other times please Contact Us.

A mother and daughter take in the view from the top of Concord Point Lighthouse

USLHS PASSPORT STAMP:
Stamp available during Open Hours;
Available at the Havre de Grace Maritime Museum when lighthouse is closed

 

  

The Lighthouse

Concord Point Lighthouse is the oldest lighthouse in Maryland that is accessible to the public. Pooles Island Light (built 2 years earlier) is within Aberdeen Proving Ground and off-limits. Built by John Donahoo, the 2 lighthouses are very similar, from the local granite construction to the mahogony doors. The original Keeper's Dwelling still exists at Concord Point and has been fully restored to its 1884 version. Concord Point Lighthouse is open to the public from April to October on weekends, weather permitting. Here are some interesting facts about the Lighthouse and Keeper's Dwelling. See History and Restoration for more details.

Concord Point Quick Facts

  • Second oldest lighthouse in Maryland (built 1827)
  • Northern-most lighthouse on the Chesapeake Bay
  • 30-foot tower painted white with metal lantern painted black
  • Built of local Port Deposit granite
  • Tower walls are 3 feet thick at the base, 18 inches at the top
  • 5th Order Fresnels lens
  • 27 granite steps, 8-rung iron ladder to lantern
  • Original tongue and groove mahogony door and lock
  • First keeper was John O'Neill, hero of the War of 1812
  • Automated in 1920
  • Decommissioned in 1975- Oldest light in continuous service at the time of decommissioning
  • Keeper's Dwelling built in 1827 of local granite
  • Keeper's Dwelling was built 200 feet from the tower
  • Dwelling currently houses exhibits and Gift Shop
  • Limited Edition Prints by Chris White depict the Keeper's Dwelling in 1880's

         
  

Views from the Top of the Lighthouse