Museum Internship Opportunities
Marketing and Guest Services Intern
The Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse, Inc. is seeking a motivated, outgoing and responsible individual to provide high quality customer service to guests and visitors to the Concord Point Lighthouse and Keeper’s House Museum/ Gift Shop, while learning Museum policies and best practices as relate to a Historic House Museum. Individual will also assist in updating and maintaining Concord Point Light Station’s social media presence on both Facebook and Instagram.
- 2018 Season – April through October, Thurs – Sun. 1-5pm and as needed for special events.
- Stipend included
Essential Functions and Activities
- Provides exceptional service in daily, face-to-face contact with Museum visitors. Remains approachable at all times to visitors, staff and volunteers; watches for and responds to visitors who may need assistance; monitors entrance and exit areas to ensure visitor safety.
- Ability to open and close both locations using security system and prepare locations for volunteers on duty. Understands and maintains all building safety, security and loss prevention policies and procedures.
- Uses Cash register and credit card processing system for gift shop and membership sales.
- Remains knowledgeable of operational procedures and Museum information. Keeps self-updated from the proper resources to maintain excellent Museum knowledge in order to best assist visitors.
- Delivers exceptional service when assisting customers with all needs.
- Amicably resolves matters with dissatisfied guests.
- Works within a team of staff/volunteers in an open, public space. Dependability, consistently positive attitude and organizational skills required.
- Frequently provides updates to the social media outlets maintained by Concord Point Lighthouse highlighting ongoing events and items of interest.
- Ability to work unsupervised in day to day activities.
- Flexibility to work during and with planning special events.
- Flexibility to work days, weekends and holidays.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Executive Director and Volunteer Coordinator.
Knowledge and Skills
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 1-3 years’ experience working with public, handling cash and cash register.
- Interest in history, including local history and heritage.
- Positive and professional demeanor.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Social Media experience preferred, specifically Facebook and Instagram.
The Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse, Inc. is offering a museum collections management internship for Summer 2017. Obligations include but are not limited to assisting with the cataloging and processing of an archaeological collection of artifacts found on the grounds of the Keeper’s House during restoration.
- Be familiar with museum collections management practices
- Possess developed writing and communication skills
- Be available to work mornings during the week
- Present completed work at close of internship
We welcome anyone with an interest in historical museum collections, archaeology and a love of Concord Point Lighthouse and its history. This internship is unpaid, but the Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse, Inc. is willing to work with your institution to establish credit earned.
Please submit your resume and preferred start date to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 15, 2018.