The Lighthouse

Concord Point Lighthouse in JulyConcord Point Lighthouse is the oldest lighthouse in Maryland that is accessible to the public. Pooles Island Light (built 2 years earlier) is within Aberdeen Proving Ground and off-limits. Built by John Donahoo, the 2 lighthouses are very similar, from the local granite construction to the mahogony doors. The original Keeper’s Dwelling still exists at Concord Point and has been fully restored to its 1884 version. Concord Point Lighthouse is open to the public from April to October on weekends, weather permitting. Here are some interesting facts about the Lighthouse and Keeper’s Dwelling. See History and Restoration for more details.

Concord Point Quick Facts

  • Second oldest lighthouse in Maryland (built 1827)
  • Northern-most lighthouse on the Chesapeake Bay
  • 30-foot tower painted white with metal lantern painted black
  • Built of local Port Deposit granite
  • Tower walls are 3 feet thick at the base, 18 inches at the top
  • 5th Order Fresnels lens
  • 27 granite steps, 8-rung iron ladder to lantern
  • Original tongue and groove mahogony door and lock
  • First keeper was John O’Neill, hero of the War of 1812
  • Automated in 1920
  • Decommissioned in 1975- Oldest light in continuous service at the time of decommissioning
  • Keeper’s Dwelling built in 1827 of local granite
  • Keeper’s Dwelling was built 200 feet from the tower
  • Dwelling currently houses exhibits and Gift Shop
  • Limited Edition Prints by Chris White depict the Keeper’s Dwelling in 1880’s

Views from the Top of the Lighthouse

view from top of the lighthouse (1)    view from top of the lighthouse (2)


Hours of Operation


The Lighthouse and Keeper's House Museum and Gift Shop are open!

From August through October our hours will be:

Saturday 10 am - 2 pm.

Sunday 1 pm - 5 pm.


On Saturday, September 18th, due to Relay for Life, Concord and Lafayette Streets will be closed to vehicular traffic. The Lighthouse and Keeper's House will be open 10am - 2pm.

On Saturday, September 25th and Sunday, September 26th, due to the Susquehanna Wine and Seafood Festival, Concord Point Lighthouse will be closed. The Keeper's House Museum will be open to the public during regular weekend hours.

On Saturday, October 2nd, due to the Maritime Museum's Autumn-Fest, Concord and Lafayette Streets will be closed to vehicular traffic. The Lighthouse and Keeper's House will be open 10am - 2pm.


We ask that visitors please practice social distancing. Masks are no longer required in the Lighthouse and Keeper's House Museum and Gift Shop, but visitors are encouraged to wear masks in both locations. Masks and sanitizer are available at both the Lighthouse and Keeper's House.

Located off of I-95, exit 89 between Baltimore and Philadelphia.

Free Admission.

Check our Calendar of Events